Saturday, May 22, 2010

Rhubarb Curd Shortbread Bars


Curd. What an unappealing, clunky name for something so silky and delicate and delicious. Most of the curd around is of the lemon variety. I've been meaning to make it for some time, and just had trouble finding the initiative to actually do it. Not so with rhubarb curd. It never occurred to me that such a thing could exist, and as soon as I knew it did, I couldn't wait to make it.

Actually, there are about 37,052 rhubarb recipes that I want to try this Spring. I can't believe how versatile this strange stalk is - take a look at this! - and I can't wait to further explore it's many facets.


These bars are heavily adapted from a recipe I saw on Food52 - the curd is completely different, and the flavor of the shortbread is simplified. And they almost didn't happen. I ran into just about every problem possible when making these - I won't bore you with all of the details, suffice it to say I was shocked that they turned out so well. But, oh, how well they did come out... They are wonderful. Light and refreshing, creamy, sweet - but not too sweet. The rhubarb flavor is subtle, and almost delayed in its arrival. With nearly every bite I took, it gently snuck up on me.


This dessert is so unabashedly feminine, it almost seemed wrong to be eating it from the pan with a spoon. Ahem. To really do these bars justice, they should be served on dainty plates with a cup of tea.

The shortbread base is heavily flavored with ginger, and is a lovely complement to the curd. It was, however, incredibly crumbly - as you can see in the photo below; very frustrating. While crumbly is typically a good thing in regards to shortbread, here it made the bars very difficult to remove from the pan. I should have followed my instincts and lined the pan with parchment. Let that be a lesson!

These bars are fantastic, even when eaten with a spoon, and my mind is now reeling with all kinds of new curd possibilities!



Rhubarb Curd Shortbread Bars


For the Shortbread
12 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger


Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment, butter parchment, set aside. Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until just combined. Press into pan (mine was actually rather fluid as my butter was incredibly soft, so in this case, pour into pan), smooth the top and place in freezer for 30 minutes. In the meantime, preheat oven to 350. After 30 minutes, bake shortbread for about 30 minutes, or until evenly golden brown. Cool crust completely. In the meantime, make the curd.


For the Curd
1 cup rhubarb juice (from about 1 pound of rhubarb)*
3/4 cup sugar
6 large eggs
2 tablespoons lemon juice**
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into chunks
heaping 1/4 teaspoon salt
zest from 1 large lemon

Whisk together rhubarb juice, sugar, eggs, lemon juice and salt in a large heavy-bottomed pan until well-combined. Add butter and cook over medium-low heat, stirring without stopping until curd is thick enough that it holds the marks from the whisk. Pour curd into a bowl and stir in zest.

When crust is cool, top with curd and smooth surface. The curd layer should be about the same thickness as the shortbread layer, so if you seem to have a lot of curd, don't feel you have to use it all. Bake for another 20 minutes. Place in fridge for 30 minutes to set curd. Let cool completely before slicing.

*If you don't have a juicer, you can follow these instructions.

** Don't leave out the lemon juice! For some reason, I wasn't going to include it. My rhubarb juice was the most gorgeous shade of dark pink until I added the eggs. Then it turned purple. Then green. It wasn't pretty. I actually turned off the burner and almost gave up. Then I realized that the lemon juice was there to preserve the color as much as to provide additional tang. I had a tad more rhubarb juice, so I added lemon juice to it, and added that to my pan. Thankfully, the color transformed! It wasn't as deep a pink as I would have liked, but at least it was pink! If lemon juice was added from the get go, it would have been a different story. One of the many road-blocks I encountered...

12 comments:

  1. YUM!! Rhubarb. I have GOT to find some.

    Most things are good from the bowl with a spoon... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks lovely! I tried a strawberry curd once and was really disappointed with how weak the flavor was, but your rhubarb curd sounds like it has just enough delicate flavor. I might have to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a beautiful dessert to make for a Spring dinner party or get-together. And you're so right in regards to lemon curd. They need to name it something else. This stuff deserves better than the horrible name "curd".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh heavens, this looks amazing. I absolutely adore rhubarb and have such a hard time finding down here in the south.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a creative idea! I think rhubarb makes everything taste great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting idea, these bars look creamy and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made these today, although I don't have a juicer so I followed the alternate directions for the rhubarb. The resulting "curd" (maybe we could just call it a custard?) is delicious, but I think there was way too much of it. It's about twice as thick as yours in the picture, and not as firm (probably because I had more rhubarb, but not more eggs), so we can't really eat them as bars.

    However, it's a fabulous flavour, and also a great base recipe to play with. I can see trying this with strawberries, etc. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lindsey - If you still have some, try popping them back in the oven to firm the curd up some more. If they're jiggly in the center but stable around the edges, they should be good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds wonderful! I am rhubarb-obsessed too, and just finished baking my way through 10 pounds of it. Too bad it's all gone, as I didn't get any curd made.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah--thanks, but no amount of cooking was going to make these bars. There was just way too much custard for them to hold together! It was not a problem, though, we finished them all. :-)

    Next time I'll just use less rhubarb, and I'm sure it will work beautifully. It certainly was tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never baked with rhubarb. This looks luscious. I should think about baking with rhubarb, thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis